Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Derrick's Heart Monitor


I know I wrote about this before, but here is the story. At Derrick's 3 year check up the doctor could hear some premature beats (PVC's) in Derrick's heart. He wasn't overly concerned about it, but sent us to a cardiologist just to play it safe. Last Monday we went to the pediatric cardiologist and he seemed even less concerned and told me there was about a 0% chance he would find something. But, they sent Derrick home with a 24 hour heart monitor. As they were putting it on in the office Derrick was standing as still as possible on the table and as big tears were rolling down his cheeks he just kept saying very calmly, "I don't like this, I don't like this!" Poor guy! But, he quickly adjusted and thought he was pretty special. He didn't want to take it off the next morning. Well, we took it back a week ago today and I have been waiting for the results. There was a message on my phone today saying that the cardiologist wants us to come back in next Wednesday for an echocardiogram and a follow up appointment to talk about the results from the heart monitor. I am a little worried because he said that we would not need a follow up appointment and he would just give the results to our pediatrician. So this can only mean that he found something he was not expecting. Derrick seems healthy, which is a good sign. He doesn't appear to have any trouble running or playing. So, I keep trying to tell myself everything will be ok. Which I'm sure it will. I will update next week after we know more.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel....it's so good the specialist is in charge, sometimes that is the best place to be!!!

Be strong!! I love you.

Dana Christensen said...

We'll defninitely be thinking good thoughts for Derrick, I hope it's all just a false alarm! :)

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

everything will be ok :)

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you guys always. I am sorry you are having to deal with this and don't know exactly how you feel, but I know I too would be very worried. I would definately have to agree with Andi on the fact that a specialist is a better person to deal with this. I would trust him over just the ped doc. Hopefully this is all just precaution. They just want to make certain that all is well and show you that it IS!

Prayers are with you and I am sending you a big hug from VA.

Love,

Mel~

kellibattraw said...

We'll be praying for you- eveything will be fine!

Morris Mama said...

We will be thinking of you! I'm sure everything is fine!

Susan said...

We'll be praying for little Derrick. He is cute as a button--let us know how all turns out.

Scott and Susan

Momma Dianna said...

Poor little guy...although from these pics you wouldn't be able to tell it ever actually bothered him at all! What a trooper! I hope everything turns out fine. They are probably just going to explain everything that they tested and be thorough, that's all! We will have you guys in our prayers.

elissa said...

You're all in my thoughts and prayers! He's a strong boy and you will all get through this

Bren's Life said...

Oh my Goodness! I can't even imagine going through this. I would be calling & saying No I need to know NOW! Is something wrong with my baby. Just ease my fears until then.. But they don't always think about what they may be putting you through.
I am so sorry! I am sure it will be fine & that is isn't anything big. If it was they would of wanted you in that day or at least the next. Not almost a week later..

Keep us posted.